SchoolsCheck out RainbowYOUTH's resources for use in schools, as well as our recommendations of other groups and resources from local and international organisations.
Diversity Education in Classrooms
Inside Out is a set of freely available video-based teaching resources which aim to decrease homophobic and transphobic bullying. The videos are for use in schools (between years 11-13) and meets key NZ Curriculum and Health Curriculum objectives, including positive relating to others, fostering healthy communities, critical thinking, participating and contributing, sexual health and development, interpersonal skills and attitudes, stereotypes and managing self. Inside Out was created in partnership between RainbowYOUTH, Curative & Core Education.
Diversity Groups in Schools
This resource is a refresh of the 2011 resource around how to start and successfully run a QSA (Queer-Straight Alliance) group in your school. We co-created the resource with our friends at InsideOUT, are excited to share this updated version for anyone looking for tips and best practice around running diversity groups.
Legal Rights at School
Got questions about your rights as a rainbow person in Aotearoa? We can help! This website aims to provide accessible information about the legal rights of rainbow young people in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Other Groups and Resources for Schools
- InsideOUT – this NZ organisation provides resources and workshops for students and schools around diversity and supporting queer, gender diverse and intersex students. (NZ)
- GrammarPride - A website that shares the stories of NZ secondary students who are queer, gender diverse or intersex. You can read others stories and submit your own (NZ)
- PPTA Rainbow Teachers - A hub for resources around nurturing diversity in schools, connecting with other rainbow friendly teachers and workshops for schools (NZ)
Guidelines and General Resources for Schools
- Affirming diversity of sexualities and gender identities in the school community - This document provides guidance about making schools a safer and more inclusive place for students of diverse sexualities and gender identities. It outlines not only the school’s legal and ethical obligations, but also provides practical advice on how affirming diversity can be achieved (NZ)
- Ministry of Education's guide to supporting LGBTIQ+ students in schools (NZ)
- Transitioning at School and Supporting Trans Students - Human Rights Commission (NZ)
- A list of school related resources from Gender Minorities Aotearoa (NZ)
- Bullying Free NZ - A hub of various resources for schools around minimising LGBTIQ+ bullying in schools (NZ)
- Check out Minus18's website which contains various articles related to diversity in schools (AUS)