Regional Coordinator – Waikato
Hours: 10 per week
Location: Hamilton Central, negotiable
Start Date: September 2018, negotiable
Applications close: Midnight, Sunday 26th August 2018
As part of a partnership between Waikato Queer Youth and RainbowYOUTH, together we are super excited to call for candidates to apply for the role of Regional Coordinator, serving the Waikato and wider regions.
The Waikato has been identified as key area of growth for Rainbow services in recent years, with a clear need for support for the large number of the young queer, gender diverse, and intersex people living in the region, specifically in rural areas.
Waikato Queer Youth currently supports the region from their youth space in Hamilton central where their two main youth groups and professional development/school education service is run.
Being a staff member employed to work outside of the main central base in Hamilton, the successful applicant will need to be self motivated and have a passion to see young queer, gender diverse, and intersex people in the wider Waikato regions being happy and healthy. A natural ability to mentor and an interest in seeing young people supported to achieve will be beneficial. A key part of your role will be to connect and network with other organisations that work for youth in your region, such as schools, health services, and marae. You will work to make sure as many of those people and organisations as possible are able to access Waikato Queer Youth and RainbowYOUTH resources, information and support, as well as providing training and education to Waikato based services.
A clean full driver’s licence is required for this role.
- Qualifications and/or previous experience in youth support work
- Confidence and proficiency dealing with queer, intersex, and gender-diverse young people
- Strong knowledge of the needs of sex, sexuality and gender diverse communities
- Commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Tikanga Māori
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to relate to individuals in a professional, yet friendly and relaxed manner
- Able to self-manage and show initiative in your work
- Strong time management and self-motivation